Los Angeles police open Weinstein sex assault investigation

FILE - In this Nov. 25, 2013 file photo, producer Harvey Weinstein attends a screening of "Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom" in New York. Los Angeles police said Thursday Oct. 19, 2017, that it is investigating a possible sexual assault case involving Harvey Weinstein that involves alleged conduct from 2013. The department released few details about the inquiry other than to say it has interviewed a potential victim and its inquiry is ongoing. (Photo by Andy Kropa/Invision/AP, File)

Los Angeles police say they are investigating a possible sexual assault case against Harvey Weinstein _ the first involving the producer in the city

LOS ANGELES — Los Angeles police say they are investigating a possible sexual assault case against Harvey Weinstein — the first involving the producer in the city.

Police spokesman Sal Ramirez says the department has interviewed a possible sexual assault victim who reported an incident that occurred in 2013.

He says the investigation is ongoing and he could not answer any questions about when the interview or incident took place.

Police in New York and London are also investigating the fallen movie mogul over allegations of sex abuse in those cities.

"Mr. Weinstein obviously can't speak to anonymous allegations, but he unequivocally denies allegations of non-consensual sex," his representative Sallie Hofmeister wrote in a statement.

Weinstein has been accused of sexual harassment or abuse by more than three dozen women, including several top actresses including Gwyneth Paltrow and Angelina Jolie. Several of the incidents allegedly happened at hotels in Beverly Hills, which does not have an open investigation into Weinstein.

He was fired from The Weinstein Co., the film company he co-founded, earlier this month after several harassment incidents were detailed in The New York Times. Additional allegations, including from three women who said Weinstein sexually assaulted them, were included in a subsequent article by The New Yorker. Two of the women, including Italian actress Asia Argento, were named while the third accuser wasn't identified.

Argento told the magazine that in 1997 Weinstein forcibly performed oral sex on her at a hotel in France when she was 21 years old.

Weinstein, 65, resigned from the board of directors of his former company earlier this week. He has not been seen in public since last week.

The Oscar winner has been expelled from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and the Producers Guild of America has started the process of expelling him. On Thursday, the British Film Institute rescinded an honor it conferred to Weinstein in 2002 for his contribution to British cinema.

Quentin Tarantino, who has partnered with Weinstein on most of his films from "Pulp Fiction" to "The Hateful Eight" over the past 20 years, told the New York Times Thursday that he "knew enough to do more than I did."

Tarantino had heard first hand from his then-girlfriend Mira Sorvino about Weinstein's alleged sexual harassment, and had known about the settlement reached with Rose McGowan, he told the paper. He'd also heard stories from another actress who he declined to name.

He said it was impossible that anyone who was close to Weinstein had not heard about at least one incident. He also said he continued to hear stories second and third hand.

"I chalked it up to a '50s-'60s era image of a boss chasing a secretary around the desk," Tarantino said. "As if that's O.K. That's the egg on my face right now."

Tarantino went on to compare Hollywood's treatment of women to a "Jim Crow-like system that us males have almost tolerated."

He called on other men to "vow to do better by our sisters" and not just issue statements.

"What was previously accepted is now untenable to anyone of a certain consciousness," Tarantino said.

___

AP Film Writer Lindsey Bahr contributed to this report.

Related News

The Latest: Closing arguments in 'Pharma Bro' trial Thursday

Jul 26, 2017

A jury will hear closing arguments in the securities fraud trial of "Pharma Bro" Martin Shkreli on Thursday

Matt Harvey rejoins Mets, apologizes for skipping game

May 10, 2017

Matt Harvey has rejoined the New York Mets after serving his three-day suspension for skipping a game last weekend following a late night on the town

Scarlett Johansson: Ivanka Trump 'baffles me'

Apr 7, 2017

Scarlett Johansson says Ivanka Trump could have a "big impact" by being vocal and she's baffled by the first daughter's reluctance to take a public stance on controversial issues related to her father's administration

You may also like these

The Latest: Closing arguments in 'Pharma Bro' trial Thursday

Jul 26, 2017

A jury will hear closing arguments in the securities fraud trial of "Pharma Bro" Martin Shkreli on Thursday

Matt Harvey rejoins Mets, apologizes for skipping game

May 10, 2017

Matt Harvey has rejoined the New York Mets after serving his three-day suspension for skipping a game last weekend following a late night on the town

Scarlett Johansson: Ivanka Trump 'baffles me'

Apr 7, 2017

Scarlett Johansson says Ivanka Trump could have a "big impact" by being vocal and she's baffled by the first daughter's reluctance to take a public stance on controversial issues related to her father's administration

Financial Markets

The Buzz Reporters bring you the latest from Hollywood, to the hottest in Bollywood in a flash.

Contact us: sales@thebuzzreporters.com

EntertainmentNews MediaOnline MediaRadioTelevision Press Broaden